special deals I come across from day to day
My thoughts about Newsletters
- As soon as a popular newsletter is released, you and thousands of other people have that same information. Buying solely on recommendation of an email at that point is useless. Stock price would have driven up already by the buying from all the people.
- A lot of people just use the newsletter as stock tips. You tell me, and I will buy it. They do not put any other effort into researching the stock. Most do not understand the type of investing newsletter does (long term, shorting, dividend based etc.) They do not understand if the newsletter philosophy matches or compliments their investing style.
- Never rely on single source of information. Be it a newsletter, stock advisor group, news article or some tip you read on twitter etc. I do believe in the concept of idea funnel. Once you start researching a stock. You need to look at various sources of information. It can be company’s website, blogs, company’s 10K, product reviews on eCommerce website, expert newsletters etc. Reading and looking at as many sources as possible helps you to get a complete idea of the stock.
- I do believe Newsletters at the right price and of the right investing style can be of great value for the information they provide. They are, after all written by experts who put in many hours to write and recommend stocks. I genuinely feel they can add a lot of value to your own stock research. It can help you screen new stocks or go back to some stock you looked at the past and revisit it.
With above in mind, let me tell you about a great deal I have come across recently if you are in the market for the Motley Fool Stock Advisor service.
What is Motley Fool Stock advisor?
- It’s a service from Motley Fool that recommends 2 stocks every month.
- Their philosophy is to invest in companies that have competitive advantage and are supported by long term trends.
- They also focus on companies with solid financials and whose management are shareholder friendly.
- They provide access to their forums with the membership which is full of very insightful discussions.
- You can also look at past recommendations and check out the performance of their picks.
- You also get access to some bonus reports/articles they write which could have lots of useful information, like tax guides, wealth creation, imp guides on new trends, companies etc.
What’s the deal?
Recently Rebates Me site has tied up with Motley Fool to give 85% cashback on purchases. Rebatesme is a cashback site that helps customer drive to their site for purchases. To incentivize customers, they offer cashback on purchases. They get some cut of the purchase you make on the eventual website. Currently they are offering 85% of your money back in form of cashback if you make any purchases on the motley fool website going through them!
Currently Stock Advisor membership is being sold for about 99$ on Motley Fool website:
So technically, if you buy this via the Rebatesme link, you can get about 85$ back in cash deposited to your Paypal account or to your credit card. Also do note that their Faq’s do say it will take about 3 months for them to pay out the 85$ since they want to make sure you do not cancel the subscription after getting the 85$ cashback. This doesn’t concern me that much however since Rebatesme seems to be recognized in the marketplace to honor their commitments.
Here are the steps in detail, please follow them properly to ensure that you do get the cashback (don’t worry, it’s no rocket science):
- Go to Rebates Me and create an account. Once you enter the details and account gets created, confirm your account by clicking on the verification link in email.
- Disable Adblocker: Rebates me works and motley fool work by tracking that you came to the Motley fool website via Rebates Me site. To make sure that happens, disable ad blocker from the browser for these 2 sites. Once you go to the site one by one just click on ad blocker symbol and select “disabled on this site”. Make sure to do that on both Motley Fool and Rebatesme sites.
Log into the rebates me account and search for motley fool. Make sure that the cashback shows up as 85% as shown above. Once you click shop now, the browser should open a new window with the motley fool website. In the previous tab on the rebates me site, you can click on my account and go to shopping trips and you should be able to see the most recent click to motley fool with the 85% rebate as shown :
This just makes sure that Rebates me has recorded your visit and you can now shop on Motley fool. Now in the next tab where Motley Fool had opened, you can proceed to buy the Stock advisor subscription. Currently the subscription shows up for 100$ so if you buy that, after a few days, on your rebates me account you should get a 85$ cashback making the price of 1 year of Motley fool Stock Advisor for only 15$!!
- Here is my account for proof. I did this when it was 50% cashback and I thought it was a great deal then. Imagine my mind when the cashback jumped to 85%. I think it takes 30-45 days for the cashback to go from pending to payable. Once it is payable then you can deposit in your paypal account!
As I mentioned before, right price and for the right type of newsletter can be great value for money. It can be an excellent source of idea. I think 15$ for 1 year of motley fool stock advisor is an impossible deal to beat! In no time would it be worth it!
I received my cashback rebate, here is the proof:
from rebatesme acct:
and my paypal account with some other extra rebates:
Rebatesme has reduced the offer of cashback from 85% to 80% which will still bring you about 80$ on a 100$ motley fool stock advisor subscription. In my opinion it is still great deal! Especially since I have confirmed that cashback is being paid out 3 months after the transaction.
Disclaimer: None of the links in this article are my referral links or affiliate links. I do not get any benefit of purchases you make. I have signed up and have found the forums section and tax resources section highly highly useful. I genuinely felt this is a great deal and decided to share with my readers.